Creating ideas that spread and connecting the disconnected are the two pillars of our new society, and both of them require the posture of an artist.
We’re not waiting for you to tell us about your notebook filled with ideas. Tell us about the connections you have enabled and the impact you have made instead. Stand up and stand out.
- Sit alone; sit quietly.
- Learn something new without any apparent practical benefit.
- Ask individuals for bold feedback; ignore what you hear from the crowd.
- Spend time encouraging other artists.
- Teach, with the intent of making change.
- Ship (or post online) something that you created.
Art is not a gene or a specific talent. Art is an attitude, culturally driven and available to anyone who chooses to adopt it. Art isn’t something sold in a gallery or performed on a stage. Art is the unique work of a human being, work that touches another.
Of course it’s difficult and frightening. When we do art, we put ourselves at risk, because risk is part of what makes it art.
Make connections. Make a difference. Make a ruckus. Make a legacy.
We are all artists now.